A Brief History
The Church was established in April 1964, holding services in the Public Hall on the corner of Blackburn and Anderson Creek Roads, and moved into the new church facility in November 1969 at the Corner of Blackburn and Woodhouse Roads, East Doncaster.
Who we are
Edge Church is an independent evangelical Church. Our affiliation is with the Christian Community Churches Australia (formerly known as Christian Brethren), however we are completely autonomous and have fellowship with all who love and follow the Lord Jesus Christ.
* We are evangelistic, seeking to share the good news of Jesus Christ with the people in our community.
* We are socially concerned, seeking to help people in our church fellowship as well as those living in our area.
* We are contemporary, providing church services that are understandable and appropriate for today with a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere.
* We are mission oriented, committed to various missionaries and projects in Australia and overseas.
Mission StatementWe exist to glorify God by helping people become effective followers of Jesus Christ who are…
Submitted to Christ
Authentic in Worship
Growing as Disciples
United in Fellowship
Serving in Ministry
Sharing the Gospel
Committed to Mission
Values:* EVANGELICAL HERITAGE – Our beliefs are grounded in scripture as the guidebook of life & ultimate truth as per doctrinal statement
* INTEGRITY – We aim to foster a caring, relaxed atmosphere where people feel valued, accepted & cared for; in policy practices, worship and service
* GROWTH BY CONVERSION – We are committed to reaching the lost thought the proclamation of the gospel and their growth through discipleship
* GIFTEDNESS – To develop strong lay participation & empowerment of the church body in all church ministries & an ownership of the church by all members
* VALUE OF EVERY INDIVIDUAL – We are committed to communicate & interact in a culturally relevant manner to our society & community as we share the Gospel & meet the needs of our community with an impartial love of others
* PRAYER – We value prayer as a spiritual discipline essential for spiritual growth & as the foundation for all ministries & activities in the church
* LEADING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT – We depend on the Holy Spirit for guiding on all issues, holiness in life, worship and empowering for service
CHURCH PHILOSOPHYEdge Church is a Christian community, which aims to:
* Welcome and care for members and visitors of all ages and backgrounds
* Provide support and assistance for individuals and families
* Facilitate public worship that glorifies God
* Develop people toward Christian maturity
* Train Christians for ministry, leadership and discipleship
* To have all church members participate in a small group
* Reach the community and beyond with the gospel of Jesus Christ
* Achieve a vibrant prayer life both collectively and individually
* Develop facilities for more effective ministry
Love, Love, Serve
Love God, Love others, Serve God by serving others
Theme verse: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength … Love your neighbour as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30-31
This part constitutes what we regard as the core of Biblical faith. Anyone desiring to be a member of EDGE church must have an unreserved and wholehearted commitment to the truth of this doctrinal position and its implications for their lives.
We accept that among believers who agree with Part A there will be differences of opinions on other issues. We value this diversity within the body of Christ but emphasise the unity, love and harmony that comes from a common faith in Jesus Christ. Within the context of current theological discussion there is a need at times to clarify our position as a church.
Part B outlines such a position for some issues. We do not necessarily expect everyone to agree with all of Part B but it does represent our considered conclusions on the issues listed. Anyone desiring to be a member of EDGE church must accept that this is our position as a church and undertake not to work against this position or cause dissension over it in any way.
1. The Bible:
We believe that the Bible is the complete inspired word of God, though written through human hands is inerrant in the original writings. It contains the complete revelation of God’s plan and will for individuals and the world He created. It is the basis of our faith and doctrine and it contains the only truths essential to man’s salvation. We accept it as the final authority on all matters relating to our belief and practice, morality and marriage.
(2 Tim 3:15-17; 2 Peter 1 :20-21; Jude 3; Isa 40:8; Matt 24:35; Ps 119:89)
2. The Godhead:
We believe in a single God existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He is self existing, eternal, absolutely perfect and holy, all powerful and is the creator of all things in existence.
(Deut 6:4; Gen 1:1; Ps 90:2; 2 Cor13:14; Matt 28:18-19).
3. Man’s Sinful Nature:
We believe that sins originate from the disobedience of the first man, Adam (and Eve) and that death (physical and spiritual) is the direct consequence of that. Ever since, every person is born with a sinful nature and destined for eternal damnation. Therefore, a new birth in Christ is necessary to enter into the kingdom of God.
(Gen 1 :25-27; Luke 19:10; John 3:3,16-18,36,5:24,10:27-29).
4. Person and Work of Jesus Christ:
We believe in a historical Jesus, the son of God incarnate, conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He is fully human and fully divine, completely sinless, died on the cross for the sins of humankind and through this redemptive death, reconciled humans to God. We believe he arose bodily from the dead, ascended into Heaven and now is seated at the right hand of God the Father. Therefore, salvation is entirely achieved by the grace of God and through the faith of a person in accepting Jesus Christ as his/her saviour and Lord. (Luke 1 :34-38; John 1 :1-3,14,18; Acts 1:9-11, 4:10-12; Rom 1:4,3: 24-25, 5:8-10, 8:34; 1 Cor 15:3-4; 1 Tim 2:5; Eph 1:7; Heb 1:3, 6:19-20, 7:24-25, 9:24; 1 John 2:1-2).
We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for the sins of the world. His shed blood and His resurrection provide the only means of eternal salvation, and is offered as a free gift of God. Only through repentance towards God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ can an individual be forgiven, regenerated by the Holy Spirit, and thus become an eternal child of God. We believe that all who are born of God show their faith to be genuine by holiness of life and good works.
(Rom 3:19, 4:25, 5:6, 12-19; 1 Cor 15:3-4; 2 Cor 5:21; Eph.2:10, 4:24; Tit 3:4-7; Heb 9:24-28, 10:12-14; James 2:17; l Pet.1:3-5; John 3:19).
6. Morality and Marriage
Morality as prescribed in the New Testament of the Bible is the standard Christians are called to adopt. The Biblical standard of marriage is a lifelong, exclusive commitment of a man and a woman. We believe that God only sanctifies heterosexual marriages. (Refer to Romans 1:26-28, 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 and Matthew 19:3-6.)
7. The Universal and Local Church;
We believe the true universal church is a spiritual entity composed of all individuals who have genuinely repented of their sin, trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ and received forgiveness and new birth through His Name.
All such believers are united together in the Body of Christ of which Christ is Head. We believe that only those who are thus members of the true universal church are eligible for membership in the local church.
We believe that God has called individual Christians to meet together in local autonomous congregations which submit to Christ as Lord and Head of the Church, and are guided by a recognised group of Elders
(Eph 1:22-23; l Cor 12:12-14; Acts 2:42-47, 11:27-30, 12:5, 20:7,17-38; l Cor 8:1-14; Phil 1:1; Tit 1:5)
8. The Holy Spirit:
We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells a believer at the time of his /her conversion and that His works are to glorify Christ, convict people of their sins, give gifts to believers. He regenerates, guides and instructs the believing sinner and empowers him/her for godly living and witnessing. (John 14:16-17, 16:7-15; Acts 5:3-4; Rom 8:5-8; 1 Cor 3:16; 6:19, 12:7, 11-13, 18; 2 Cor l3:14; Gal 5:22-23; Eph 1:13-14, 5:18; Acts 1:8).
9. The Second Coming of Jesus Christ:
We believe in the second coming of Jesus Christ who will return for His church on Earth. We also believe in bodily resurrection of the dead; of the believers to everlasting joy and blessedness in Heaven with Christ; of the unbelievers to everlasting conscious punishment in the Lake of Fire.
(1 Thes 4:13-18; Luke 1:32,33; Isa 9:6-7; Dan 2:44-45; Matt 24:27-31, 25:46; Luke 16:19-31, 23:43; John 5:28-29; 1 Cor 15:12-58; 2 Cor 5:6-10; Phil 1:23; Rev 20:11-15)
10. The Fallen Angel, Satan:
We believe in the existence of a personal evil being, Satan, also known as Lucifer, the Devil, who deceived Adam and Eve into sin. We believe that he continues to exercise his deception in the world today in opposing God and His plan for humankind. His eternal destruction is assured and his fate is in the Lake of Fire. ( Rev 20:10; Matt 4:2-11; John 8:44; Heb 2:14).
1. We believe that baptism by immersion is in keeping with what the scripture teaches and what the Lord Jesus Christ has instructed all believers of His to undertake. It is an outward sign of an inward divine work signifying the believer’s identification with Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. (Matt 28:18-20; Acts 2:41-42; 8:12; 35-39; 10:47-48;16:31-33; Rom 6:3-4; Col 2:12; 1 Peter 3:21).
2. We believe that the Lord’s Supper also known as Breaking of Bread or Communion is a sacrament commanded by our Lord Jesus Christ to remember Him. It is a time of worship, celebration and praise in anticipation of His return. (Matt 26:26-29; Luke 22:15-20; Acts 2:42; 20:7; I Cor 10:16-17; 11:17-33).
3. We believe in the equality of male and female in their standing before God. We also believe that God has created man and woman to be different and these differences are complimentary. We believe that The Bible teaches different roles for man and woman in some situations within the church and in the family. This in no way compromises their equality.
(Gal 3:28; I Tim 2:8-15; 1 Cor 11:3; 1 Cor 14:33-37; Col 3:18-19; Eph 5: 22-33; 1 Peter 3:1-7).
4. We believe that the Holy Spirit gives gifts to whoever He wills and that the gifts are for the edification of the body which is the church. We believe that corporate worship should be a heart warming and orderly experience and that all gifts are to be exercised according to the principles laid down in Scriptures.( 1 Cor 12: 1-11; Eph 4: 11-12; I Cor 14: 22-33; 1 Cor 14:40).
5. We believe that our material possessions are blessings from God and as stewards of His resources, we are instructed to be generous as a reflection of the Gospel and all of its implications. Furthermore, we encourage giving a tenth(tithing) of our income as a minimum standard in exercising this stewardship.( Gen 14:20,28:22; Lev 27:30; Deut 14: 23; 1 Chron. 29:14, 16-18; Mal 3:8-12; Matt 23:23; Luke 11 :42